ALEXANDRIA BAR ASSOCIATION The Alexandria Bar Association is a voluntary membership organization for the attorneys of Alexandria,Virginia, but is not limited to those who practice in Alexandria. The Bar offers many social events for its membership along with numerous active committees, several of which are civic-minded in their orientation. For more information about the Bar, please call the office at (703) 548-1106 or visit their website at www.alexandriabarassoc.com. ALEXANDRIA LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICE If you need an attorney but don't know how to find one, call the Lawyer Referral Service at (703) 548-1105. The service lists attorneys by field of practice. When you call, an experienced counselor will help you determine what area of the law is involved in your situation and find an attorney experienced in that area. For a reduced rate of $35.00, you will receive a thirty-minute initial consultation with an attorney at his or her office. After that, you will decide whether to continue the attorney-client relationship and all further payment matters are between you and the attorney. The Lawyer Referral Service carefully screens all attorneys who apply to be on the referral rotation. LEGAL SERVICES OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA Legal Services of Northern Virginia (LSNV) is a non-profit law firm which provides free legal assistance in civil cases to individuals who are elderly, or who have low incomes, mental or physical disabilities, or HIV/AIDS. The mission of LSNV is to serve individuals who, without legal assistance, will lose a critical human need - food, shelter, income, medical care, or personal safety. To qualify for legal assistance, please call (703) 532-3733.
The Alexandria Law Library collection contains over 20,000 print volumes supplemented with computerized databases such as Westlaw, Internet access and CD-ROMs. Books are arranged by subject matter. Our electronic catalog is currently only accessible from within the library. However, the library staff will answer any questions about our collection by telephone. Major materials in the collection include:
- State & Local Codes: Virginia, Maryland, DC, Alexandria, Arlington and Fairfax
- Extensive Virginia practice collection (Administrative Code, Michie’s Jurisprudence, VA/WV Digest, Attorney General opinions, Workers’ Compensation Commission opinions, Acts of Assembly, Opinions from VA Circuit Court, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court, forms & many subject-specific treatises)
- United States Code Annotated (USCA)
- The National Reporter System
- Federal Practice materials and forms
- Legal Dictionary
- Restatements: 1st, 2nd and 3rd
- ALR: 1st through 5th and Federal
- Treatises on domestic relations law, landlord-tenant relations, bankruptcy, employment law, traffic infractions, driving under the influence, trial practice, personal injury, criminal law, taxation, medical malpractice, business formation, commercial law, insurance, contracts and much more….
WESTLAW Subscription, includes:
- State & Federal Case Law, Statutes and Court Rules
- Reference Materials such as ALRs, AmJur, the Restatements, Uniform Laws Annotated, law reviews and journals from around the country, Jury Verdict materials, AllForms database and KeyCite
- Secondary materials (treatises) in selected topical areas such as Bankruptcy, Intellectual Property, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Evidence, Federal Practice, Personal Injury, Products Liability, Property Law, Tax Law, Workers Compensation, and much more…
- Fairfax Circuit Court Practice Manual
- Model Interrogatories
- Tax, Estate & Financial Planning for the Elderly
- Virginia Personal Injury Forms & Corporate Forms
The law library houses superseded volumes and pocket parts from the Virginia Code and the U.S. Code Annotated in its storage area. This area is not accessible to patrons. However, the librarian will gladly retrieve volumes for you upon request by title number, section and year.